Saturday 11 May 2013

The New Science of Psychedelics

The following is excerpted from  The New Science of Psychedelics: At the Nexus of Culture, Consciousness, and Spirituality, by David Jay Brown, published by Inner Traditions.

In this book we'll be exploring a wide array of unorthodox ideas about the evolution of consciousness and the future. The New Science contains a collection of fascinating anecdotes from my many interviews with accomplished iconic thinkers, and discussions on how these interactions interfaced with the ideas, insights, and revelations from my numerous psychedelic experiences.
(...)

DJB Meets THC

My interest in meditation, and the writings of Robert Anton Wilson, led me to experiment with the cognitive-changing, sensory-enhancing properties of cannabis. In 1976 I purchased a small quantity of the illegal herb from a fellow student in my art class, and I picked up a small pipe with a wooden bowl at my local mall. I tried smoking the condensed, dried brown buds three times in the pipe without any noticeable effect. Then, on the fourth try, it finally worked. 

I was taking tokes from my pipe in an extra bedroom, downstairs in the home that I grew up in, while my mother spoke on the phone upstairs in the kitchen. I was listening to her voice and laughter seep through the ceiling, and it seemed to be unusually interesting for some reason--dreamlike and amusing--almost like it was a parody of her speaking in a cartoon. I was hearing these archetypal and strangely humorous qualities in my mom's voice when I suddenly realized that I was totally and completely stoned. I found the perceptual shifts, cognitive changes, and sensory enhancement that cannabis brought to be absolutely delightful and I marveled at everything around me.

Getting high for the first time felt like being let in on a great cosmic secret. As Timothy Leary exclaimed about his first cannabis experience, "Wow, how long has this been going on?"

... continue reading the full excerpt on Reality Sandwich 

No comments: